Welcoming New Students
Each year OLV is delighted to welcome new students. Every child who applies for admission will be considered individually and evaluated on the basis of past performance, including academic standing and social behavior. Insofar as OLV School is a Catholic institution, new students will be considered for admission in the following order:
- children of OLV School employees
- children who have siblings already enrolled in OLV School
- children of OLV registered parishioners in good standing
- children of St. Mark the Evangelist's parishioners in good standing
- children of Catholic families
- children of other denominations
The State of Alabama and Our Lady of the Valley School require that a child must meet the following age requirements for admission:
- 3K Preschool—3 years of age on or before September 1st
- 4K Preschool—4years of age on or before September 1st
- 5K Kindergarten—5 years of age on or before September 1st
- 1st Grade—6 years of age on or before September 1st
- 2nd Grade—7 years of age on or before September 1st
In addition, OLV requires that children be completely toilet trained to be eligible for school. (No diapers or pull-ups)
If applying for admission for grades 2nd through 8th grade, the following guidelines apply.
- A child must have a Stanford Achievement Test (or equivalent) at or above the 50th percentile.
- A child must have maintained an overall grade point average of C or better, and must not have received a final failing grade of F in any subject.
- A minimum conduct grade of satisfactory must have been maintained and a history of acceptable level of attendance must be evident.
The registration process for the school year 2012-2013 for new students in preschool through grade 8 will begin on January 3, 2013. To have your child placed on that waiting list, call or come to the school office between the hours of 8 AM—3 PM. Registration for currently enrolled students will begin in January. After registration for current students, we will begin calling prospective students from the waiting list based on the openings in each class.
Consideration for registration is given based upon the above priorities.
Please contact the school office at 205-991-5963 to place your child on the waiting list .
Tuition and Fees
Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School strives to provide an excellent education that doesn’t create a financial burden for families. Several payment options are available. As a ministry of Our Lady of the Valley Church, the School is supported in part by the Parish so reduced tuition rates are provided to registered families in good standing with Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church. In addition, children of St. Mark's parishioners, in good standing, may be eligible for the parishioner tuition rate.
Tuition for 2013-2014(click here for tuition rates)
Financial Assistance - Our Lady of the Valley Church and School are committed to Catholic education and offer limited tuition assistance when necessary for children to attend the school. Families needing assistance must contact the office and complete grant and aid assessment forms. Information is kept confidential. For additional information see the school handbook or contact the school office at 205-991-5963.
Learn More About OLV by Taking a Tour of the School
To learn more about Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School, we encourage you to tour the school, participte in one of our admission events, and join us at a school wide Mass on Friday mornings during the school year at 8:15 AM. A complete listing of admission events, including tours (which are listed below) is available on our school calendar under the category Admission. Upcoming tour dates include:
- Thursday, November 15 – 10 am
- Wednesday, November 28 – 9:00 am
- Wednesday, December 5 – 9:00 am
- Tuesday, December 11 – 10:00 am
- Tuesday, January 8 – 10:00 am
- Thursday, January 17 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, January 23 – 9:00 am
- Wednesday, February 6 – 9:30 am
- Tuesday, February 19 - 10:00 am
For additional information about the school or to schedule an appointment contact the office at 205-991-5963.