Accreditation and Honors
Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School (OLV) offers an environment steeped in Christian values and high academic goals. OLV encourages students to live as the individuals God created them to be with their own aspirations and levels of achievement, then provides resources, programs, and opportunities that allow them to spread their wings and soar! Students have been recognized in:
- science – the OLV Science Olympiad program is consistently one of the top three in the State
- the arts – OLV’s drama program and Junior Thespian Troupe members are the recipients of numerous honors
- athletics – from track and field to volleyball, basketball and more OLV students are recognized for their talent
- language arts, social studies, and more – students are the recipients of honors in academic competitions such as the Spelling and Geography Bee, writing, math, and Science Fair
- Duke Talent Identification Program – a high percentage of OLV 7th grade students qualify for this program each year based on their standardized test results
A U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
Among the most coveted honors received by OLV has been the United States Department of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence award. It is the Nation’s highest honor for a school and OLV is the only private school in the Birmingham area to have been awarded this prestigious honor. The award distinguishes OLV for excellence in teaching, curriculum, student achievement, leadership, professional development, parental involvement, and community support. OLV is exceptional in that it is a two-time recipient of the honor.
Committed to Excellence - Accreditation
OLV has been continuously accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) since 1986. AdvancEd/SACS accreditation is an important indicator of quality and a commitment to continued improvement to meet the educational needs of our school community.